Raphael H. Levey, M.D.
Dr. Levey graduated from Philips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts in 1951 and received the Philips Society Prize. From there, he entered Princeton University and received his degree Magna cum Laude in Biology in 1955. He entered Harvard Medical School and graduated with honours in 1959. Dr. Levey entered the surgical residency program at Massachusetts General Hospital, graduating as chief resident in 1968. He then spent two years in London as a visiting consultant in paediatric surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children on the thoracic surgical service.
Dr. Levey was a Mosleley Fellow in Medicine at HMS, a Markle Scholar in medicine and Faculty Research Associate of the American Cancer Society. He was a member of the Biology Advisory Council at Princeton University and the Transplantation and Immunology Committee at NIH. He has held visiting Professorships at European and North American Universities and was elected a full member of the College de France. In the early 1970s, Dr. Levey developed a new class of immunosuppressive agents that are still clinically utilized.